Intensive Theme offers students an opportunity to dive deeper into an area of interest, try something new, or travel outside of the SES campus to experience a new environment or culture.
Intensive Theme Courses
In-depth, experiential studies
These courses allow students an opportunity to explore a topic of interest in a variety of settings with trips in the field both on and off school grounds. Some courses are co-taught with Minnesota Zoo staff members and many incorporate outside experts to add real world expertise.
Intensive Theme courses are offered as an elective near the end of each trimester and run seven school days. These courses provide one elective credit that can be applied toward graduation. You can filter the courses below to identify which provide a physical education credit.
Note: Some courses require a fee to cover supplies and/or field trips. Approximate course fees are noted in the course descriptions and must be paid prior to the first day of class.
Field Study Experiences
Creating a school without walls
Field Studies are academic excursions around the planet and are intended to immerse students in new climates, cultures and environmental issues. These are not trips, but rigorous academic classes that provide hands-on learning and physically challenging opportunities for students. Spaces are limited for each field study and paid for by students.
These courses are offered as a short elective near the end of each trimester. Field studies run from seven to thirteen days. These courses provide one elective credit that can be applied toward graduation. Field studies may count as a gym credit with prior approval.
- When is Intensive Theme?
- Do you get graduation credits for Intensive Theme courses?
- What type of transportation is used for field trips during Intensive Theme courses?
- Do you have to go to your home high school/career development courses during Intensive Theme?
- What is the difference between a field study and an intensive theme course?
- How do I find out more about a particular Intensive Theme / Field Study?
- When do I register for my Intensive Theme Course?
- How do I sign up for a Field Study?
- Are there more detailed informational meetings for Field Studies?
- What paperwork documents are needed for Field Studies?
- Is there any financial support available for IT/FS Fees?